Following up on the idea of making action figures and monsters from other toys, I have been experimenting with scanning my figures and then printing copies of them.
To start with, Leezle and I downloaded a MakerBot project from Thingverse.
We printed it.
Someone at Thingverse commented that it’s “Sad that it’s such a lo-poly model. :/” Still, it was a fun start.
Next, we scanned some of the cowboy figures I made.
We had a few false starts and bad scans – this is a time consuming process (noted by Leezle). My favorite 4 armed cowboy is red plastic, and it did not play well with the red laser scanner. I switched to blue, who is a rather lumpy. I’ve read that painting a figure white helps, but I’m not ready to sacrifice red to that (also, he’s currently living the March Madness Diorama).
After the scan was complete, I worked on cleaning up the figure in MeshMixer.